Support for Windows 7 will expire on January 14, 2020. This means Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for systems running on a Windows 7 operating system. Organisations who continue to run Windows 7 after this time will become more vulnerable to security risks. Security vulnerabilities impact the performance and usability of desktops and applications data, with data loss and data integrity concerns. Despite this currently 39% of all PCs still use Windows 7.
“40% of very small businesses (VSBs) and 48% of small, medium-sized businesses (SMBs) and enterprises still rely on unsupported or approaching EOS operating systems for their security needs.”
Ref: Kaspersky Research
While there are many benefits of migrating to Windows 10, there are inherent challenges and risks that should be considered prior to updating:
- Minimising the impact on business users
- Understanding the existing IT infrastructure, the location of existing devices and the compatibility of existing applications
- Project overruns, that typically add additional costs
- Lack of time, technical resources, skills or know-how
- Dealing with old devices, which may pose a security and GDPR risk
We will assess your business needs and will provide extensive discovery, planning and design of your bespoke Windows 10 migration and where required, we can provide new devices, addition resource, support and managed services. Our Approach:
- Windows 7/8 Desktop, Application and Endpoint discovery.
- Reference technical architecture and use-cases analysis.
- Existing application discovery and rationalisation.
- Design the Windows 10 experience, deployment method and management; for all device types, operating systems and applications.
- Desktop image design, desktop deployment and application presentation design.
- Endpoint device selection and mobile device selection.
- Application packaging, sequencing, presentation and testing.
- Windows 10 Desktop image creation, desktop presentation and desktop testing.
- Create a model office, based upon the proposed design endpoints, desktop and applications.
- Design and instigate an asset lifecycle management solution; design, build, deploy, cleanse and recycle.
- Define and/or operate a replacement method; pre-staging, data transfer, training, changeover kiosk with concierge services.
- Define or operate a desktop and asset management as a service.